Essay: What to expect from a photoshoot
Back in December, I wrote about learning to love my body and one of the things I mentioned as being helpful was getting in front of the camera. Having done lots of photoshoots myself, it's pretty easy for me to offer this advice, but I realise that it can be a daunting prospect for anyone who hasn't ever done it before so I thought I'd write up my experiences as a cis femme. It's always useful to know what to expect and how to prepare, so I hope you find this helpful.
First of all, you'll need to decide what type of shoot you want to do. Do you want to do something fully clothed, wearing something revealing, or try some nudes? Do you want to go full-on glamour or raw and real? Are you wanting someone else to do your hair and make-up, or are you comfortable doing that yourself? Perhaps you'd rather have some faceless photos, to protect your identity if you'd like to share the images somewhere, or maybe you want to go all out and just keep the shots for yourself and your partner(s)?
Once you have a rough idea of the sort of thing you're looking to do, you can start the hunt for a photographer. For a shoot where someone else does your hair and make-up, you're best to look for a boudoir photographer as they usually have MUAs that they work with and could recommend and book someone for your shoot. They all have different styles (some are more pin-up glamour, and others are more relaxed), so check out the photographer's website and/or Instagram account before getting in touch to discuss a shoot. I have shot with Emerald Photography before and can recommend her for the full glamour experience
If you're comfortable with sorting your own hair and make-up, or want some anonymous/faceless shots, there are many more photographers to choose from. If you think you might want to go beyond 'art nudes' to something a bit (or a lot!) more suggestive, choosing a photographer who shoots sex workers will be your best option. Anyone who is up front about creating content for members' sites will be open minded enough to take on a shoot that is NSFW, but it's always wise to get recommendations if you're unsure about working with a stranger on something so intimate.
The first time I ventured away from boudoir shoots, I found a photographer whose style and approach I liked, then messaged a couple of models he'd previously shot with to ask what he was like to work with. It's always a good sign when you see someone going back to the same photographer, but it doesn't hurt to double check by asking for a recommendation - especially if you are a woman looking to shoot with a male photographer. That shoot went extremely well and I would 100% recommend Twitchet for all your filth photography needs! The gorgeous image at the top of this post is from a shoot with him.
Once you've found your photographer, as well as looking at dates, you'll need to discuss location and what you want to shoot. Let them know any ideas you have for poses/lighting/framing/outfits, tell them what you want the photos for (gives the photographer an idea where you're coming from if you say "I want the photos just for me, so I can feel like a goddess!"), and generally just get into a conversation with them. The more you chat up front, the easier the shoot will be. Photographers will usually be clear on what to expect on the day, but don't be afraid to ask questions.
In the weeks leading up to the date of the shoot, think about anything that you might need to do in advance; e.g. book train travel, get your hair dye refreshed, book a wax, buy some new lingerie. You may want to up your skincare routine and/or drink more water in the lead up to a shoot as, not only does it help you to look your best, but it also makes you feel good. On the day before, I usually make sure everything is shaved and moisturised (because that's what I like, ymmv), that my hair is clean (I don't wash my hair daily so the night before a shoot is best for me), my nails are painted (if I do them on the day, they'll get smudged!), and that I've got my bag packed. Then, I get plenty of sleep.
When you get to the shoot location, don't be afraid to admit if you're nervous. Professional portrait photographers are used to putting people at ease, so tell them how you're feeling and they can help you to feel calm and relaxed. Once you've chatted a little (or a lot, if its a boudoir shoot and you're having your hair and make-up done!), get some of your outfits/lingerie out and discuss what you think would be good to start off in. If you're completely new to posing for a camera, perhaps start with your most 'covered up' outfit, and then you can reveal more skin the more confident you feel.
If you're working with a boudoir photographer, they will probably guide you into some tried and tested poses that will feel weird to do but will show your body off at its best. Other photographers who go for a more relaxed and natural look will guide you into the best light, suggest lying/standing/kneeling/etc, and will encourage you to keep doing what you're doing when they want to get more angles of the same fabulous thing, but the actual 'posing' will be up to you. If you're unsure, I'd recommend imagining that the camera lens is your partner's eyes... or the eyes of someone you have a huge crush on!
Remember: any posing guidance a professional photographer gives will always be verbal and there will be no touching without consent.
A two or three hour shoot can provide more than enough time for some truly amazing images, and how many you get from the photographer (and whether they're included in the cost of the shoot, or are extra) will depend on the photographer's style and whether or not they retouch the images. I usually find that the experience of a shoot is great fun and a confidence boost in and of itself, and then the images are an added bonus! It's always so interesting to see yourself through someone else's eyes/lens, and will help you to let go of any body image issues or hang ups.
If you have any other questions, let me know in the comments. Otherwise, good luck for your shoot!
Comments
Post a Comment